Friday, October 08, 2004

I'm Guilty of Theft. Also, I Still Have Writer's Block and I Suck at Formal Debating.

"Stripped of the right to be a human in control. It's warmer in Hell, so down we go." -The Distillers, City of Angels

The Writer's Block: You'll have to excuse me, I'm playing with colours. It's sometime at night. Time is creeping closer to the time that I leave for school. I don't feel like sleeping at the moment, so I'm working on my English essay (Ok, not right at this moment. I'm taking a break). I've had a block on my thoughts for over a week now. My essay has been suffering, and although I attend Gateway opinion meetings religiously, I have yet to submit anything. There are projects in the works. I got one of my ideas from spotting someone's crude attempt at spray-painting male genitalia on a wooden fence. It's in the works.

The Part Where I Suck at Formal Debating: I debated for the first time ever on Wednesday. I got schooled. Slaughtered. Owned. But I did it.

The Part Where I'm Guilty of Theft: I could also call it "An Evening With George Stroumboulopoulos". That's what it said on the posters we took from the walls of Grant MacEwan. But it was technically after The Evening with George Stroumboulopoulos. Photos of George and I are coming soon to a blog near you, provided I can locate some kind of scanner. Seriously though, this guy is a freaking awesome speaker. He's extremely intelligent, knows all of his facts about many, many bands, he's funny and really interesting. He talked for about 2 hours, including questions from the group. I could have listened to him for hours. He had conversations with every person there, I think. He signed autographs and posed for pictures. He is a friend of Jeremy Taggart, or "teacart" if you prefer (Who he says was an amazing drummer, even at the age of 14), of OLP. And his favourite Edmonton band? The Wednesday Night Heroes , although he said that he liked The Mad Bombers Society too. Jo and I went, and I think we both had a great time. Holy shit, I met George Stroumboulopoulos.

"I remember that it rained for years, and the blood had left a stain."




6 Comments:

Blogger Nicholas said...

There's nothing uncommon about getting slaughtered at formal debating. You'll get better.

3:03 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I hope so!

4:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It takes practice to get good at debating. If anyone is at fault for your getting slaughtered, it's Jones.

- Mustafa

5:58 PM  
Blogger "Steve Smith" said...

Whatever. Just so long as she's ready to carry Team Smith by the end of the month.

6:09 PM  
Blogger Prus said...

You mean she isn't already?

11:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jones got slaughtered too.

- Jones.

2:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home